Thursday, September 17, 2009

Oh how far I've come...


I read an interesting article in Revue about Artprize yesterday. It talked about all the hype surrounding the competition and how many things have come through Grand Rapids in the past promising to be the 'next big thing'. Until it's all said and done I can't say how this thing will play out but every now and then I have to take a moment to reflect on how far I have come. If I don't I will never realize that I have made real accomplishments; reflection also keeps me in perspective of where I am headed.

I think back on my time painting with Paul and remember how terribly insecure I felt; I had never painted prior to that experience and I was terrified!I'm guilty of envying others who seem to have more opportunities or 'stuff' than I do. But when I look back over my life and even think about the 'now' I realize what an amazing story I have in myself. Everyone around me adds to that story and honestly we are all so messy that to envy someone else's life is naive because I have no idea what their struggles entail.So the next time that spirit of envy tries to rise up in me I remind myself of Psalm 91, 139 and Philippians 3 and 4. The perception of what we think someone else has is a lie; at the end of the day we are all an imperfect beautiful mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment