Saturday, September 18, 2010

Completion



As I sipped hot and sour soup from a plastic spoon and dipped a shrimp egg roll into that mysterious pinkish orange sauce, I took a deep breath and whispered "Thank you Jesus". The realization was sinking in. My Artprize 2010 entry was complete. I began at 9:30 this morning and finished around 3:30 pm. I felt my body decompressing from my head to my pinky toes. Today was a proud moment; an accomplishment worthy of praise. I gazed out of the window of that corner Chinese restaurant and felt an overwhelming sense of joy, peace and contentment. I was satisfied knowing that I had spent my energies on a task that was a part of my divine purpose. I can rest in that

Today was all about the finishing touches. Really, I could have spent another week on it but at some point I have to force myself to put my tools down.

My friend finished the frame and brought it by just in time to push me to the finish line. It's awesome to have good friends...especially ones who are fellow artists and can build stuff.






It was time to transport the finished work to the venue and I couldn't have been more excited and relieved.

This time last year I was scrambling to finish, exhausting myself to the point of never wanting to hear the word 'Artprize'. I learned from that experience and this year is different. I told myself I wanted to finish about a week ahead of time (not too bad...about 4 days ahead of schedule). And most importantly I want to have fun!

At ACK things could not have went more smoothly. We used existing holes in the wall to mount which was awesome because I didn't want to have to drill any more than necessary...big difference from last year. I couldn't have asked for a smoother process at the venue. No problems or mishaps and in few minutes we were done!





In what has to be the most personal work for me, I have been transformed through my own work and its process. I wouldn't trade the late nights for anything. Not a commission for a client or some trend to try and keep up with, this is my work...my story...my Artprize

1 comment:

  1. I love it Georgia!!!!! Truly a talented sistah...who knew that the quiet and always just a sweet person that I shared art classes with was blessed beyond measure. You are being heard loud and clear :). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete